Join Me for the Fall Equinox Celebration with 108 Surya Namaskar
September 26th at 12pm EDT
This free, virtual event celebrates the transition from summer to autumn with the tradition of completing 108 Sun Salutations (a short series of yoga poses). Sign-up now or scroll down for a little bit of the history and background of this beloved tradition.
Hi! I'm Laura and I'm hoping you'll join me for this exciting celebration!
Like all transitions, the shift from summer to autumn has it’s challenges— but it’s nothing we can’t deal with by engaging in a seasonal movement ritual: The practice of completing 108 Sun Salutations.
During an equinox the day and night are equal lengths, the autumnal equinox is a time for us to go within and ground ourselves before the beginning of winter.
Why do this? It is believed that the fire, or heat built during the practice helps to detoxify the body, moving lymph and stuck emotions, and allows you to come home to yourself.
At some point during the practice, you will probably contemplate, why on earth did I get myself into this? At that point, if you keep going, you will find a sense of flow, and surrender, giving into the process, and acknowledging what you feel without the temptation to attach.
There are no words to describe the feeling you have afterwards, and I think everyone should experience it at least once.
Why the heck 108?! The auspicious number in a variety of cultures:
- 108 is the number of "Upanishads" comprising Indian philosophy's "Vedic texts”
- 108 in numerology, equals 9, which symbolizes universal love, eternity, and awakening
- 108 in Ayurveda is the number of sacred points on the body
- 108 is the number of names for Shiva (a really important Hindu god)
- 108 is the number of names for Buddha
- 108 is the Chinese number representing "man"
- 108 is the number of beads on a Catholic rosary
- 108 is the number of beads on a Tibetan "mala" (prayer beads, analogous to a rosary)
- 108 is twice the number "54", which is the number of sounds in Sanskrit (sacred Indian language)
- 108 is six times the number "18", which is a Jewish good luck number
- 108 is twelve times the number 9, which is the number of vinyasas (movements linked to breath) in a Sun Salutation
But what it all comes down to is using the equinox as a reason for you to give a gift to yourself. Won't you join me?
Sound amazing? Then Join Us!
Just drop your email address in below and I'll send you all the information you need to join us for this special, free event.